Looking for Christmas markets in Germany? Think Rheinland-Pfalz!
Sizzling sausages, Glühwein and gingerbread: it will soon be Christmas market time again. “Finally!”, one might say, but what’s the best place to visit German Christmas markets? The Rheinland-Pfalz is one of my favorite regions: it has many historically fascinating places such as Trier, Mainz and Koblenz but also charming wine towns such as Bernkastel-Kues and Traben-Trarbach (famous for its outstanding Riesling wines). If you are looking to combine a cultural and gastronomical getaway with the best Christmas markets of Germany, Rheinland-Pfalz is the place to go to!
The widespread area of Rheinland-Pflaz has plenty to offer to people that are looking for a quick break. You can find many charming Christmas markets and villages which will instantly bring you in the right mood for the year-end holiday season! If you’re searching for the most romantic Christmas markets around the Rhine, a visit to Koblenz, Mainz, Traben-Trarbach or Landau is what you need. Wander around cozy streets and browse through beautiful stores while you enjoy the smell of cinnamon and glühwein flowing through the streets.
This region breathes Christmas atmosphere
Speaking of glühwein, Rheinland-Pfalz is also Germany’s largest wine region. There are thirteen high-quality wine regions in Germany and six of them are located in Rheinland-Pfalz, so make sure to stop by one of the vineyards and taste some of the best wines that Germany has to offer. My favorite winemakers in the region are Jan Mattias Klein of Staffelterhof and Martin Müllen. If you are as much into Riesling as we are, then you should not hesitate to pay them a visit!
- Rheinland-Pfalz is only a 3-hour drive from Belgium & The Netherlands
- Most Christmas markets in Rheinland-Pfalz start at the beginning of November and last until the end of December
- Look for special Christmas hotel deals during this season
- The Christmas market of Traben-Trarbach is one of the most endearing Christmas markets you can find in the region
- Visit the website of Rheinland-Pfalz for more information in Dutch or English