Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya is the newest child of the Hyatt Hotel Group, and it is located on the Caribbean beachfront just north of Playa del Carmen. Situated on 590 acres of breathtaking oceanfront, preserved mangrove and lagoon surroundings, the property has 214 guest rooms, including 41 suites. It’s a successful combination of a lush natural environment with locally inspired and indigenous experiences and cuisine. A good example where authenticity and luxury go hand in hand!
Andaz Mayakoba joins the illustrious family of 5-star resorts that includes Rosewood Mayakoba, Fairmont Mayakoba, and Banyan Tree. It is the latest addition to this dreamy eco-resort complex. Andaz Mayakoba is also known for hosting the annual PGA (Professional Golfer’s Association) event in the area, OHL Classic.
The whole hotel breathes a strong relationship between architecture and design. Renowned architect Ronald Zürcher combined the richness of nature and its wilderness, organic forms and shapes, with the authentic Mayan cultural elements. All guestrooms and suites have breezy, open layouts flooded with natural light and featuring refined artisan décor. Local artworks adorn the walls, and decorative tiles outfit the floors. Each room includes a balcony or terrace with tropical views of the resort gardens and mangroves, the crystal-clear lagoon, or the Caribbean Sea.
Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya: 5 stars eco-tourism close to Playa del Carmen
Andaz Mayakoba has 4 diverse and unique restaurant concepts, all offering fresh ingredients and authentic cooking techniques. Casa Amate features Latin American cuisine and has a unique residential concept featuring intimate rooms with terraces offering lagoon views. Cocina Milagro is the resort’s poolside open kitchen restaurant that has a market-to-table concept and an emphasis on seafood. Olla Taco is another poolside restaurant which offers ocean views along with live entertainment, a feast of Yucatan specialties and locally crafted beers.
As a real ceviche fan, I was thrilled to try out Olla Ceviche: a casual beachfront and poolside dining spot featuring fresh ceviches and sharing plates. With an amazing view on the water, a fresh coconut on the side and live background music, I absolutely recommend the following dishes:
- Aguachile de pescado y chile xcatic: fish marinated with blackened chile xcatic water, cucumber, onion, coriander, radish and jicama
- Ceviche pasión de camarón: shrimp with passion, onion, tangerine, xcatic chili and cucumber
- Ceviche de callo y tamarindo: tender scallops marinated with tamarindo and chipotle chili, crispy onion, coriander, lemon juice, cucumber, jicama and green tomato
- Ceviche mixto de lima: octopus, shrimp and snail marinated with local lime juice cucumber, radish, onion, oregano, cherry tomato and guajillo chili oil.
Highlight: Mangrove boat tour
You should definitely get on board for a mesmerizing boat tour through the mangroves! It all started with a beautiful 35.5km long man-made mangrove that now snakes through and around the property. The mangrove works 100% ecologically thanks to automatic pumps and natural cleaning. The bird population increased from 100 to 300 different species that now live in this wonderful natural area.
A “lancha” electric boat takes you from the hotel’s beach area through the extensive mangrove channels. Enjoy the view of the red, white and black mangroves and listen to the chirping birds and the rustling trees. Don’t panic when you hear loud tapping underwater: these are turtles trying to find food under the boat! Guests are not allowed to swim in the mangroves in order to preserve the natural equilibrium, the hidden cenotes and – of course – not to bother the crocodiles!
[edgtf_highlight background_color=”#D8D8D8″ color=”#FFFFFF”]Practical:[/edgtf_highlight]
- The hotel offers 214 rooms, 4 restaurants and 3 outdoor pools & 1 whirlpool
- Prices start from ca. 300 EUR per night for a double room
- Direct beach access
- Type of accommodations: guestrooms and suites
- European & local cuisine
- Full-service spa with 6 treatment rooms and 2 hydrotherapy rooms
- Boat rides through the mangrove channels
- Golf cart transportation throughout the property
- Special discounts on golf at the PGA circuit El Cameleon Mayakoba Golf Course
- Additional activities such as yoga, bird-watching, tennis, archery, and kayaks
- More information: https://mayakoba.andaz.hyatt.com/
More pictures of Andaz Mayakoba: